Tuesday, November 11, 2008

He brings restoration

On Sunday, there was some miscommunication and we took our boys to church thinking there would be childcare at the "younger folks" service. Well, needless to say, the hallway was dark and quiet at 7:05pm- things did not look good. We metaphorically pulled our pants up and took them into the service. Being only 5 and 3 years of age and used to going to Sunday School, they did much better than we thought. Quiet during the announcements and even through most of the music. Luke, being 3, got bored rather quickly. But Jacob surprised us. He was attentive. He tried to read the words on the screen. He even sang along with one of the songs. It was a song based on Psalm 30:11, "You have turned for me my mourning into dancing; you have put off my sackcloth, and girded me with gladness."
Our autism journey has been messy. It's been painful. It is confusing and overwhelming at times. But all of that makes the joy so much sweeter. To stand by my son, his arm around me, and hear his sweet voice singing about God turning our sadness into joy- that makes it all worth it. Truly it does!
"You take my mourning and turn it into dancing, you take my weeping and turn it into laughing, you take my mourning and turn it into dancing, you take my sadness and turn it into joy. You bring restoration, You bring restoration, You bring restoration to my soul." It is in these moments, that I am firmly convinced that God's plan for us is good, despite it being sometimes hard and painful. God can use it ALL for good.

No comments: